We don’t like single-use plastics covering our beaches and floating in our waterways. We’re constantly working on ways to reduce the amount used along our beautiful stretch of coastline. It’s why we fully embraced the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program that Surfrider has put together.
How can your restaurant join the ranks of these environmentally friendly restaurants? All it takes is a few simple changes to how you do business, or maybe you already do these things!
There are four criteria that your shop or restaurant must meet:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam)
- Proper recycling practices are followed
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
Then, you must choose a minimum of three of these criteria:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles
- Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances
Check out this Quick Guide for Restaurants for specific ways to meet each of the criteria.
If you’re interested in becoming an Ocean Friendly Restaurant, please contact us today. A volunteer will evaluate your application and visit your restaurant. Upon acceptance, a link to your website will be added to this page and you will receive Ocean Friendly Restaurant-branded stickers and/or table tents to show off your status!
Please visit Certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants in South Jersey:
Bandanas Mexican Grille & Ice Cream, 5607 Atlantic Avenue, Wildwood Crest, NJ