We don’t like single-use plastics covering our beaches and floating in our waterways. We’re constantly working on ways to reduce the amount used along our beautiful stretch of coastline. It’s why we fully embraced the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program that Surfrider has put together.
How can your restaurant join the ranks of these environmentally friendly restaurants? All it takes is a few simple changes to how you do business, or maybe you already do these things!
There are five criteria that your shop or restaurant must meet:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.*
- No plastic bags offered with take out or to-go orders and utensils are provided only upon request.
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.**
* Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, and ramekins/containers.
** Exceptions may be made for alternatives made from other naturally occurring materials and reusables.
Then, you must choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages are sold in plastic bottles.
- A discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, container, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood is ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch, or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.
Energy efficiency efforts are in place.
Restaurants who meet all of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
Check out this Quick Guide for Restaurants for specific ways to meet each of the criteria.
If you are interested in becoming an Ocean Friendly Restaurant or have any questions, please contact us or directly register online here. Once at the site, scroll down and click on the green Join Today! box. A volunteer will evaluate your application and visit your restaurant. Upon acceptance, a link to your website will be added to this page and you will receive Ocean Friendly Restaurant-branded stickers and/or table tents to show off your status!
Please visit Ocean Friendly Restaurants in South Jersey:
Bandanas Mexican Grille & Ice Cream, 5607 Atlantic Avenue, Wildwood Crest, NJ
Jon & Patty’s Coffee Bar Bistro, 637 Asbury Ave, Ocean City, NJ
OC Surf Cafe, 715 E 8th St, Ocean City, NJ
Good Earth Organic Eatery, 600 Park Blvd, West Cape May, NJ
Exit Zero Filling Station, 110 Sunset Blvd, Cape May, NJ
Enlightened Cafe, 6414 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor, NJ
Steve and Cookie’s, 9700 Amherst Ave, Margate, NJ
Ventnor No. 7311, 7311 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor, NJ
Harry’s Ocean Bar and Grille, 1025 Beach Ave, Cape May, NJ
On the Rocks Dockside Grill, 1200 Lincoln Blvd, North Cape May, NJ
The Bailey Grind, 3016 U.S. 9, Ocean View, NJ
Green Cuisine, 302 96th St, Stone Harbor, NJ
heart beet kitchen, 29 Haddon Ave, Westmont, NJ
heart beet kitchen, 801 8th St, Ocean City, NJ
The Watering Hull, 261 96th St., Unit 202, Stone Harbor, NJ
Marabella’s Family Restaurant, 9426 Third Avenue, Stone Harbor, NJ
White Horse Wine and Spirits, 676 White Horse Pike, Absecon, NJ
El Capitan’s Taco Shack, 9 West 55th St., Ocean City, NJ
Goji Juice Bar, 520 New Road, Somers Point, NJ
Stir It Up, 6825 Tilton Road, Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Green Street Market, 3156 Rte 9 S, Rio Grande, NJ 08242