We don’t like single-use plastics covering our beaches and floating in our waterways. We’re constantly working on ways to reduce the amount used along our beautiful stretch of coastline. It’s why we fully embraced the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program that Surfrider has put together.
How can your restaurant join the ranks of these environmentally friendly restaurants? All it takes is a few simple changes to how you do business, or maybe you already do these things!
There are five criteria that your shop or restaurant must meet:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam)
- Proper recycling practices are followed
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
Then, you must choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles
- Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances
Check out this Quick Guide for Restaurants for specific ways to meet each of the criteria.
If you are interested in becoming an Ocean Friendly Restaurant or have any questions, please contact us or directly register online here. Once at the site, scroll down and click on the green Join Today! box. A volunteer will evaluate your application and visit your restaurant. Upon acceptance, a link to your website will be added to this page and you will receive Ocean Friendly Restaurant-branded stickers and/or table tents to show off your status!
Please visit Ocean Friendly Restaurants in South Jersey:
Bandanas Mexican Grille & Ice Cream, 5607 Atlantic Avenue, Wildwood Crest, NJ
Buddha Bar Cafe at Golden Buddha Yoga, 841 Central Avenue, Ocean City, NJ
Jon & Patty’s Coffee Bar Bistro, 637 Asbury Ave, Ocean City, NJ
OC Surf Cafe, 715 E 8th St, Ocean City, NJ
Good Earth Organic Eatery, 600 Park Blvd, West Cape May, NJ
Exit 0 Filling Station, 110 Sunset Blvd, Cape May, NJ
Enlightened Cafe, 6414 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor, NJ
Steve and Cookie’s, 9700 Amherst Ave, Margate, NJ
No. 7311, 7311 Ventnor Ave, Ventnor, NJ
Harry’s Ocean Bar and Grille, 1025 Beach Ave, Cape May, NJ
On the Rocks Dockside Grill, 1200 Lincoln Blvd, North Cape May, NJ
Mudhen Brewing Co, 127 W, Rio Grande Ave, Wildwood, NJ
The Bailey Grind , 3016 U.S. 9, Ocean View, NJ
Green Cuisine , 302 96th St, Stone Harbor, NJ